We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Yes, you can play music on your Fitbit. Although, not all Fitbit models allow you to play music through them, and only two of them let you store music.
In particular, you need either the Fitbit Versa, the Fitbit Iconic to play music with the watch, or the Fitbit Blaze series to control audio. So if you don’t have one of these models, then, unfortunately, playing music through your Fitbit is not an option for you.
So say you do have an Iconic, a Versa, or a Blaze, how do you use its audio features?
Well, the Blaze series and the Versa / Iconic series differ in how they work, so here’s a brief run-through of both.
If you want to control music on your phone with your Fitbit:
Plan music on Fitbit Versa and Iconic Series
- If your phone runs Android or Window’s 10, you need to turn on Bluetooth Classic, you iPhone users go ahead and skip this step. First, navigate to the settings app on your Fitbit, go to Bluetooth, then to restore music controls.
- Then navigate to where your paired Bluetooth devices are listed on your phone. Scan for available devices and tap Classic next to your Fitbit device when you see it.
- On your Fitbit, swipe the top of the screen down and hit the music controls option. Hey presto you’re done!
Play Music on Blaze Series
- Again, this first step is exclusive to Android and Windows, IOS users skip on. On your Fitbit go to settings, then Bluetooth classic, then pair.
- On your phone navigate to where your paired Bluetooth devices are listed. Scan for devices and when you see Blaze classic hit it.
- A six-digit number appears on your screen, wait a few seconds and the same number appears on your Fitbit. Tap ‘yes’ on your Fitbit, then pair on your phone.
- On your Blaze Fitbit, press and hold the top button to see what track you have playing on your phone. Here the various buttons of your watch correspond to the different functions of audio control.
Playing Music Stored on The Fitbit
You can only store music on the Fitbit Iconic and the Fitbit Light. This also excludes the Fitbit Versa Lite Edition.
- Firstly, make sure that you have paired your headphones with your Fitbit device.
- Once paired, swipe down from the top of the screen to access your music control panel.
- If you have previously listened to music from a different source, then you change it. Hit the 3 dots then hit watch.
- You should now have access to your music and all your necessary control options.
How Do I Pair My Bluetooth Headphones with My Fitbit?
- To pair your headphones with your Fitbit follow these steps:
- Turn on the pairing mode on your headphones, or speakers
- On your watch, navigate to settings, then to Bluetooth
- Hit add audio device and wait for the watch to find your headphones
- Your watch shows you a list of nearby pairable Bluetooth devices, find your headphones and tap them
- A checkmark appears on the screen when the two are paired.
That’s all there is to it! You should now be good to get on with your important stuff, listening to your favorite tracks on the way.
What If I Want to Use Spotify?
If you want to use Spotify with your Fitbit devices then I’m afraid to tell you that your options are very limited, although they are still there.
You can use the Spotify app on your Versa or Iconic series to control the music playing on another one of your devices, such as a tv, phone, pc, games console, etc.
You can also like songs and switch playlists from this app.
To get this app you need to make sure that your Fitbit is updated to Fitbit OS 4.0. Otherwise, you won’t be able to download the app on your watch.
Keep in mind that this version of the Spotify app doesn’t support offline playback. So the device you are using needs to remain connected to the internet with the Fitbit close enough to pair, and the app running in the background.
You also need to have a Spotify premium subscription. Also, you need to make sure that the Spotify app is opened on the device actually playing the music.
To Control the Spotify App from Your Fitbit
In your Fitbit app, hit the Today tab, then tap your profile picture, then your device image, then apps.
- Tap the settings symbol next to Spotify.
- Hit the Log-In option and follow the instructions.
- Then open the Spotify app on the device you’re going to be using and turn on some tunes.
- Open the Spotify app on your Fitbit and have fun!
The icons on the Fitbit app are pretty much identical to the ones on the regular app, so you shouldn’t have much trouble figuring out what is what.
What Kind of Audio Files Can I Keep on My Fitbit?
The format that you can store music in your Fitbit depends on whether you are a PC user or a Mac user.
For PC you can use the following:
- MP3 files
- MP4 files that have AAC audio
- WMA files
For Mac users:
- MP3 files
- MP4 files that have AAC audio
How Much Music Can I Store on My Fitbit?
Fitbit’s actually have a surprising amount of storage space. Of course, just how much music you can keep on hand depends on the file sizes. However, on average you can store about 300 songs.
Can I Put Music That I’ve Bought on My Fitbit?
Yes, and no.
If you’ve bought any tracks through paid streaming services like Apple music or Microsoft Grove, then, unfortunately, you cannot transfer your music to your Fitbit.
If you have the Deezer app or the Pandora app in the United States, then you can use these to download your playlists to your watch from the previously mentioned streaming services (except Microsoft Grove). Bear in mind, to make use of this feature you need to have a paid Deezer or Pandora subscription.